Mesothelioma Victims Not Just Patients
Industry defense lawyers will tell you that there arent that many mesothelioma victims these days. They quote statistics that seem to indicate only a few thousand mesothelioma cases each year yet that is a devastating number of victims for any kind of cancer.
The truth is that there are many times more mesothelioma cancer victims in the United States that simply havent been diagnosed yet. The more accurate statement would be that thousands of individuals are diagnosed with mesothelioma asbestos cancer each year. Since this doesnt include other patients who suffer from asbestosis, the number of people who are suffering from serious health issues due to asbestos is actually quite high.
Family Members are Also Mesothelioma Victims
The other figure that isnt discussed by those in the asbestos industry is the statistics for how many lives are affected indirectly by mesothelioma or asbestosis. These are victims who suffer long after an individual passes away and who have to stand by and watch their loved ones suffer for months or years.
When an individual is diagnosed with mesothelioma, that persons family has to face profound life changes and cope with devastating realities such as:
- Family members will have to watch their loved one suffer through painful worsening of their condition as well as invasive, sometimes ineffectual treatments.
- Family members will have to help handle the complex paperwork and scheduling of everything from doctors appointments to legal meetings.
- Partners and parents will have to decide how to explain the impending loss of a parent or grandparent to the mesothelioma cancer victims children and grandchildren.
- Mesothelioma cancer victims will often leave behind huge debts accumulated during their protracted illness and treatment that their families have to deal with.
- Surviving family members will suffer from loss of companionship as well as loss of income when their loved one passes away prematurely.
If you are someone you love has been diagnosed with an asbestos related disease, be sure to find an excellent medical team, talk to an attorney and find professional psychological support for the entire family. Never forget that you are all mesothelioma victims.
Return from Mesothelioma Victims to the Mesothelioma Cancer Home Page