Is Your Mesothelioma Case Worth Pursuing?
Every mesothelioma case is different is the answer youll generally get from an attorney regarding your chances of winning an asbestos lawsuit. This isnt meant to be confusing, frustrating or misleading. Its simply the cold, hard truth of the matter. No attorney can tell you with 100% certainty whether your mesothelioma cancer case will result in compensation or how much that compensation might be.
A meeting with an attorney should instead give you a general idea of whether your mesothelioma case meets several criteria and how best to proceed. Topics you will probably address in an initial meeting include:
- Is your cancer clearly asbestos related?
- Is it provable?
- Are there parties still in existence that can be pursued for compensation?
- Does past case law favor a victory in your specific situation?
- Would it be advantageous to pursue a court trial or would a settlement be in your best interests?
Mesothelioma Cases Require Lots of Information, Research
In order to determine whether your mesothelioma cancer case is a solid one, your attorney will handle a lot of information gathering and investigation for you. This will help build a strong case while allowing you to focus on your mesothelioma treatments. Because each case is unique, several things will be done to strengthen your individual case:
- Investigation of each of the companies tied to your asbestos exposure, including reviewing past cases they have been involved with (also see asbestos legislation)
- The gathering of expert medical testimony to support your mesothelioma claim, including review of all of your personal medical records.
- An individual evaluation of the merits of your case by mesothelioma and asbestos experts.
- Research on landmark cases in the specific jurisdiction in which your case will be filed.
It is an intense, time-consuming task, but your mesothelioma attorney will be well-versed in handling cases such as yours and will soon have a solid foundation for getting you the compensation you and your family deserve. Be sure to talk to an attorney before deciding on your own whether your mesothelioma case is worth pursuing.
Return from Mesothelioma Case to the Mesothelioma Cancer Home Page